If an Indian tribe, worked through all of the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build an internet casino in downtown Enid, would you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos across the state, you probably run into others you know from Enid, partaking in the recreation given by the casinos. These are the same people that have left our town and so are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping at the stores, eating in the restaurants, and staying with the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The capability to run bingo games was among the numerous concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person created a bingo game that appeared as if a video slot. We have all seen the little digital bingo card in the top corner in the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos did start to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes as well as the State of Oklahoma allowed the application of Vegas style video poker machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino is only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries and then placed inside a trust while using U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have any casino, would be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied from the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the location was a hunting ground from the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are come here to operate tribal governments and programs for its citizens. In addition, a portion from the revenue is split using the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related places of interest are built.
4. Jobs are manufactured.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found out that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were considering also doing something apart from gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions such as family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian entrepreneurs.
10. Casinos give you a magnet for outside money that failed to previously exist.
11. Local resident who utilized to travel outside with the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are manufactured building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted opportinity for governments to increase funds. It is described as source of money that's easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an rise in profits, attendance, and customers after an internet casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative elements of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time allocated to useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amount of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling along with other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a lot to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is definitely an increase inside following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it contributes to tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, in order that it takes more gambling and higher stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that video slot gambling illuminates the human brain the same manner cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition to make downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it might enhance our community or bring social problems organic beef not want to cope with?